Tuesday, March 28
Like Tyre and the other nations mentioned in Ezekiel 25, God will place Egypt into the hands of Babylon.
Here are a few of the main points/interpretations and moments of personal application that I picked out in our passages today as noted by the visual above:
- Egypt = monster
- Egypt will be like a sea monster with hooks in their jaw, and fish leaching onto its scales (29:3-5).
- God will bring a sword (Babylon) against Egypt and they will become a scattered and desolate land (29:11)
- After 40 years, God will reunite Egypt and they will be a lowly kingdom (29:15)
- Egypt = Assyria = Garden of Eden
- Assyria was once a thriving, beautiful nation. Even the “garden of God” (Eden) could not rival it” (31:8)!
- Assyria was taken captive by the Babylon’s and Egypt has the same fate.
- Life Application: I am a big-picture person. Therefore, it feels like I have basically read the same thing for the past five chapters. The cycle looks something like this: there is a nation that disobeys God and subsequently God sends Babylon to conquer them, leading them to desolate decline. So, what can we learn from this cycle? We learn that this matter is important to God because he repeats it over and over again. God is trying to relay an important message to His children because He continually makes the same point through the prophet Ezekiel. I pray that the Holy Spirit is working in your heart and mind as you read this text, and that you might open your heart to the change God desires. What is God trying to show you through this repetition?
For me, I come back to the theme that God yearns for our attention. He longs to hear from us and be in communion with us. In Ezekiel, we see that God longs for the nations to follow Him and is willing to go to extreme measures to call His children back home. I Corinthians 6:19 comes to mind, “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you whom you have received from God? You are not your own”. We are not our own, but belong to God. How can you break-up with your old self and give a new part of your plans, emotions, desires, and abilities to God? God longs to hear from YOU!