Missions Spotlight: Peru
Within the past five years, ministry in Peru has boomed! After studying Miguel Cervetes, Pastor Edwin Mauricio came to know the beliefs we hold dear, leaving behind a life of preaching to congregations of thousands. Pastor Edwin mentors several other pastors throughout Peru; we are learning of new pastors and congregations with each visit! Pictured is a group of youth Yesenia Ruiz Castillo teaches each week in the northern-region of Peru.
The “faith chapter” of the Bible is called the “faith chapter” for good reason. Did you know, the word “faith” is mentioned 23 times in Hebrews 11? Starting with the first chapter, we are told that “faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see”. People have faith in many different things. We put our faith in our parents, teachers, doctors, and the government. I have faith that when I flick the light switch, it will send electricity through the lightbulb and give us light. We as Christians know that faith is important because it is the vehicle of our salvation. John 14:6 reminds us that Jesus is “the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the father but through [him].” Paul tells us, “Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved” (Acts 16:31). This is nothing new, right?
Although you have most likely memorized the definition of faith in your 6th grade Sunday School class, I want to take a moment to reflect on the truly RADICAL things leaders have done in FAITH. If they didn’t have faith, they surely would not jump out on a limb like this. As you read through this list, try to put yourself in their shoes, imagine how they must have felt and thought. I know these are stories we have likely heard before, but take a moment to capture how boldly these Christians stepped out in faith.
- Noah – The whole world thought he was crazy for building a boat for the rains that no one had ever seen
- Joseph – The man who stayed true to God even when he was betrayed by his family and sent to a strange land where he was a slave.
- Moses – The man who returned to a country that hated him to command that Pharaoh set the Israelites free. This same man had the faith to walk into the sea of reeds and watch as the sea parted before him and the entire Israelite nation walked on dry ground.
- Daniel – The man who stood in the face of hungry lions with confidence knowing that God could deliver him from even the mightiest beasts.
- Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego – The men who put their faith in God and told Nebuchadnezzar that God can deliver us from the fire, but even if he doesn’t we will not serve your gods because we know YHWH is the one true God.
- David – The man who went up against a mighty giant with only a sling knowing that if God is behind him, then no one could stand against him.
- Peter – The man who stepped out onto the water to meet Jesus, defining the natural laws of the world.
- Paul – The man who despite his imprisonments, beatings, and shipwrecks kept preaching the gospel to whoever would listen to him.
Now I want to share with you several others who have stepped out in faith and inspired me on a personal level. These are believers that live in Peru, and believe as we do.
- Maria Poma – The woman who continues to serve her community and church after the tragic death of her husband, the former pastor.
- Edwin Mauricio – The man who left pastoring a congregation of thousands to shepherd a small group, knowing he held the truth.
- Marco Gutierrez – The man who spends hours travelling long distances to come to church each week to preach and lead Bible studies.
- Yesenia Castillo – The woman who leads large groups of youth, even after the flooding and destruction of the church building.
God never promises us that we won’t have hardship in this life, but he does promise to be with us in the hard time. He will protect us from the hungry lions of this world, but even if he doesn’t, like Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, we will still serve him. And because of that, we will spend eternity in God’s kingdom.
If you would like to support our family in Peru with money for transportation for Pastor Marco to travel to church, along with buying materials for a renovation of the Lima church kitchen, please follow this link. Thank you! https://www.givelify.com/givenow/1.0/MjM0MDg=/selection
Josiah & Amber Cain